Ok, so I’ve been feeling good this week (second week of my second round of chemotherapy), so I’ve been enjoying time in the kitchen, cooking up yummy meals for the family. This week I bought a new waffle maker that cooks 4 waffles at a time, as opposed to our original one, which only made two. It means our big family of six gets their breakfast sooner!
Enter apple-cinnamon waffle goodness. Monte is a big fan of anything apple, so when he mentioned apple-cinnamon waffles this morning, I was happy to experiment. Basically, I added apples and spices to my usual waffle recipe, using butter instead of oil. And, they were good! Really good!
We ate some of our waffles with maple syrup – very tasty! And we ate some with peanut butter – very very tasty! The peanut butter seemed to really bring out the apple flavour. So good. Too good. Just writing this is making me hungry.
Apple cinnamon waffles
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, chopped/grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 150g butter, melted
- Mix dry ingredients
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl
- Add apples to dry ingredients and toss to coat well
- Add wet ingredients to apple mixture and mix to combine
- Let mixture stand for 5 minutes, meanwhile heat waffle maker/iron/oven (if using waffle trays)
- Add 1-2 cups of waffle mixture to waffle plate (follow manufacturer’s instructions) and cook for about 5 minutes (longer if baking in an oven) or until the waffles are the level of ‘toastedness’ you prefer
- Serve warm with desired toppings: cream, maple syrup, peanut butter, salted caramel, dulce de leche etc
I hope you enjoy these waffles as much as we did! I’m looking forward to experimenting with my new machine!